(504) 3190 6585
Jazna Vanessa Oquelí de Riera is Managing Partner of García & Bodán Honduras and member of the Corporate and Transactional and Energy and Natural Resources and Banking an Finance practices.
Her practice specializes in Corporate-Commercial, Finance, Aeronautics, Energy and Tax. Throughout the years she has participated in several unprecedented transactions in the country, such as sovereign bonds issues, credit guarantees for the Republic of Honduras. Vanessa also has participated in structuring the purchase of various companies and solar energy projects that will be implemented in Honduras.
Vanessa has been highlighted as the principal legal adviser to major companies such as United Airlines and Aerovías de Mexico; likewise she has highlighted in a number of major transactions such as participation in various syndicated loans with multinational banks and as primary legal advisor to major international companies have become major suppliers of the State of Honduras as well as transactions in the aeronautic industry and finance.
According to Chambers Latin America, Vanessa Oquelí de Riera is described by sources as “knowledgeable and responsive.” She offers substantial experience in all areas of corporate law, with particular expertise in financial and aeronautical transactions.”
She has experience in advising both national and multinational clients in complex corporate transactions that include supervising and conducting due diligences, creating business and tax structures that satisfy clients’ needs, among other services related to mergers and acquisitions and corporate work.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Banking and Finance
- Renewable Energy
- IFLR1000 Women Leaders for 2020.
- Corporate/Commercial, Chambers Latin America, 2011-2018.
- Chambers Global, 2011, 2014.
- Corporate and Finance, The Legal 500, 2017.
- Tax, The Legal 500, 2017.
- Financial and Corporate, IFLR1000, 2011-2014, 2016.
- Corporate, Finance, Competition, Who’s Who Legal Central America, 2016.
- Corporate/M&A, LACCA Approved, 2014-2019.
- Listed, Latin Lawyer, 1 of 50 “Inspiring Women in Law,” in Latin America, 2013.
- Counseled rendered to the Finance Secretariat of the Government of Honduras in the third issuance of sovereign bonds for the amount of USD 700 million.
- Counseled in due diligence of various renewable energy generation companies in Honduras in order to set the legal basis and feasibility of a purchase option.
- Legal advisor on syndicated loans; legal representative of the lender in a number of syndicated loans for more than USD 200 million each. Counseled to Mexican dairy company Grupo Lala in their acquisition of Eskimo, S.A., Nicaragua’s largest dairy producer. Counsel consisted on the elaboration of a due diligence of Eskimo and its Honduran subsidiary, and legal advice on issues of corporate, commercial, customs, tax, real estate, environmental, antitrust and intellectual property, as well as food safety legislation.
- Counseled to the borrower, Finance Secretariat of Government of Honduras, in a USD 100 million syndicated loan to be granted by several international banks.
- Represented a technology company in contract with the Government of Honduras for the implementation of a system to be issued for confidential state matters.
- Counseled rendered to the Finance Secretariat of the Government of Honduras in the first and second issuance of sovereign bonds for the amount of USD 1 billion.
- Advised the world leader company in the provision of public security and communications systems for military and civil use for clients around the world, in contract with the Government of Honduras.
- Advised Hoteles Hilton Princess de Centroamérica in the granting of important credits from lender Scotiabank El Salvador for infrastructure expansion to consolidate and expand its operations in Central America.
- Counseled United Continental Holdings, Inc. in the merger of the companies United Airlines Inc. and Continental Airlines Inc. in Nicaragua and Honduras, by which United Airlines Inc. was absorbed by Continental Airlines, Inc., and adopted the name United Airlines, Inc.
- Assisted and represented GE Capital, owner of 75% of the Bank of Central America (BAC) in the region for the sale of its participation by USD 1.92 billion. The firm advised General Electric in all local law issues and strategy, including the requirements for the approval of the Superintendent of Banks, corporate structure, time limit for the approval of the transaction and other issues related to credit card issuers regulations.
- Editor of”IBDF European” Publication in the Honduran Corporate and Tax Chapter.
- Contribution in Annual Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Doing Business”, 2009-2014.
- Contribution in Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Women, Business and the Law”, 2014.
- International Bar Association (IBA).
- Member of the Latin American Council of the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of the Legal Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM-Honduras).
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM-Honduras).
- Master in Business Administration and Finance (Magna Cum Laude) – Universidad Católica de Honduras, 2002.
- Graduated in Law with honors in Legal and Social Sciences with specialization in Business Law – Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras, June 1998.
- Admitted to practice as Attorney since 1998.