Regional Director of Intellectual Property practice
(503) 2264 0977
Julio Vargas is Managing Partner of García & Bodán in El Salvador and Head of the firm’s regional IP practice.
He manages the trademark portfolios and intellectual property asset protection strategy of several leading multinational industries, in the areas of food and beverages, media and entertainment, textile, aviation, telecommunications, and agriculture.
He has participated as counsel in relevant regional transactions. His extensive experience includes managing trademark portfolios for local and international clients, as well as the management of patents, health registrations, domain names, and administrative and judicial IP litigation. In recent years, Julio has been involved in data privacy, entertainment, e-commerce, and technology matters.
Chambers Latin America cited the “very knowledgeable” head of the department Julio Vargas Solano is a well-known name in IP. He has solid experience in managing trademark portfolios across Central America for a broad range of clients. Clients say: “He is very involved in everything and that gives us peace of mind.”
Julio is an active member of the Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI) annual meetings and activities, in which he has been participating actively since 2009. Currently, he is part of the Sports Law Committee; in the International Trademark Association (INTA), in which he has been participating since 2010, being a member of the INTA’s Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee; and since 2015 is also a member of the Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
Besides his international participation in El Salvador, is Ex President of the Salvadoran Intellectual Property Association (ASPI) Board of Directors, and member of the Legal Committee and Intellectual Property Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in El Salvador (AmCham). Furthermore, he has been being part of the major governing bodies of the matter in El Salvador, where he participates in projects and reforms of laws related to, Trade, Investment, and Intellectual Property.
- Trademarks and other Distinctive Signs
- Patents and Industrial Designs
- Health Registration of foods, cosmetics, medicines, and agricultural products
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Consumer Law
- Commercial Promotions
- New Technologies
- Personal data protection
- Entertainment Law
- Life sciences
- Intellectual Property, Chambers Latin America, 2012-2022.
- Intellectual Property, World Trademark Review (WTR), 2021-2022.
- Intellectual Property, The Legal 500, 2012-2013, 2015-2022.
- Honorary Lawyer of the Honorable Embassy of the United Mexican States in El Salvador.
- Intellectual Property, LACCA Approved, 2015-2022.
- Legal advice on anti-counterfeiting measures to defend the intellectual property rights of a leading U.S. toy manufacturer and distributor. Management of portfolio and trademark registration of leading multinationals in telecommunications, beverage, technology, and apparel sector.
- Management of the trademark portfolio of one of the world’s largest delivery service companies, including the defense of imitations of their trademarks.
- Advised the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of El Salvador in the prosecution of international patent applications in Japan, the United States, and Brazil, for the chemical agent effective treatment of American trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease).
- Advised on a Regional Anti-counterfeiting strategy for a globally recognized brand of footwear, in coordination with lawyers in Mexico and Central America, following the civil and criminal procedures against the violations suffered by our client.
- Advised regarding administrative trademark litigation in defense of our client’s trademark. The trademark has been imitated by third parties who try to register similar applications or use the term in their trademarks.
- Advising a multinational company in the telecommunications sector on copyright and related rights licensing.
- Counsel to a major hotel chain on related rights, successfully handling a commercial lawsuit in this area.
- Speaker at Lima Design Week with the conference “Importance of protecting in entrepreneurship”, 2021.
- Contribution in the Annual Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Doing Business”, 2012-2020.
- Contribution to the Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Women, Business and the Law”, 2014, 2016, 2018.
- Collaboration with renowned magazines such as Estrategia & Negocios, Derechos & Negocios, Mercados & Tendencias, and El Economista in articles on legal issues.
- Speaker at conferences on Intellectual Property, Privacy, and Criminal Actions in Intellectual Property, among others. Certificate of Recognition and Gratitude from the American College in El Salvador for his valuable collaboration and participation as Thesis Evaluation Judge.
- Member of the Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee, International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Member of the Sports Law Committee, Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI).
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
- Member of the Legal Committee and Intellectual Property Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce of El Salvador (AmCham).
- Ex President of the Salvadoran Association of Intellectual Property (ASPI).
- Course “Intellectual Property Arbitration” – Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), 2020.
- Postgraduate Course in Law and New Technologies – Instituto Superior de Economía y Administración de Empresas de El Salvador (ISEADE) and Escuela Superior de Economía y Administración de Empresas de Argentina (ESEADE), 2019.
- Diploma in Business Management for Lawyers – INCAE Business School, 2013.
- Diploma in Business Law – Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas, 2007.
- Admitted to practice as Attorney since 2006 and as Notary Public since 2008.
- Graduated in Law – Universidad Dr. José Matías Delgado, 2005.
- German (Basic)