Head of Intellectual Property practice
(503) 7871 8685
Julio César Vargas Solano is Managing Partner of García & Bodán in El Salvador and Head of the Intellectual Property practice of the firm.
He manages the trademark portfolios of several leading multinational industries, in the areas of food and beverages, media and entertainment, textile, aviation, telecommunications and agricultural.
He has participated as counsel in relevant regional transactions, has extensive experience in the management of trademark portfolios for local and international clients and he has also been dedicated to the management of patents, trademarks, health registrations, domain names and administrative and judicial IP litigation. Recently, Julio has been involved in data privacy, technology and entertainment matters.
Chambers Latin America cited the “very knowledgeable” head of department Julio Vargas Solano is a well-known name in IP. He has solid experience in managing trade mark portfolios across Central America for a broad range of clients. Clients say: “He is very involved in everything and that gives us peace of mind”.
Julio is an active member in the Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI) annual meetings and activities, in which he has been participating actively since 2009, being part of the Entertainment Law Committee; in the International Trademark Association (INTA), in which he has been participating since 2010, being also a member of the INTA’s Unfair Competition Committee; and since 2015 is also member of the Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
Besides his international participations, in El Salvador, is President of the Salvadoran Intellectual Property Association (ASPI) Board of Directors, and member of the Legal Committee and Intellectual Property Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in El Salvador (AMCHAM). Furthermore, he has been being part of the mayor governing bodies of the matter in El Salvador, where he participates in projects and reforms of laws related to Intellectual Property.
- Trademarks and other Distinctive Signs
- Patents and Industrial Designs
- Plant Variety
- Health Registration of foods, cosmetics, medicines and agricultural products
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Consumer Law
- Commercial Promotions
- Management of trademarks, patents and copyrights portfolio in El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panamá y Belize to one of the leading companies in the dairy industry in Latin America.
- Filing and obtaining health registrations of over 400 for food products of Mondelēz International in El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
- Introduction and manage of a portfolio of over 100 trademarks in El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua for Rainbow Agrosciences.
- Counseled regarding administrative trademark litigation in defense of our client´s trademark, a renowned direct TV broadcast satellite service provider.
- Advised on a defense against an opposition by a sportswear multinational company, obtaining favorable resolution, this in order to protect the registry rights of our represented.
- Advised on a Regional Anti-counterfeiting strategy for a globally recognized brand of footwear, in coordination with lawyers in Mexico and Central America, following the civil and criminal procedures against the violations suffered by our client.
- Intellectual Property, Chambers Latin America, 2012-2018.
- Intellectual Property, The Legal 500, 2012-2013, 2015-2017.
- Honorary Lawyer of the Honorable Embassy of the United Mexican States in El Salvador.
- Intellectual Property, LACCA Approved, 2015-2019.
- Contribution in the Annual Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Doing Business”, 2012-2016.
- Contribution in the Report of World Bank and the International Finance Corporation “Women, Business and the Law”, 2014, 2016.
- Collaboration with renowned magazines such as Estrategia & Negocios, Derechos & Negocios, Mercados & Tendencias and El Economista in articles on legal issues.
- Speaker at conferences on Intellectual Property, Privacy, Criminal Actions in Intellectual Property, among others.
- Member of the Legal Committee and Intellectual Property Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce of El Salvador (AMCHAM).
- Board of Directors of the Salvadoran Association of Intellectual Property (ASPI).
- Member of the Social Investment Committee “Proyecto SolucionES”.
- Young Arbitrators Association of El Salvador (YAES).
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
- Member of the Entertainment Law Committe, Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI).
- Member of the Anticounterfeiting Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Member of the Unfair Competition Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Admitted to practice as Attorney since 2006 and as Notary Public since 2008.
- Diploma in Business Management for Lawyers – INCAE Business School, 2013.
- Diploma in Business Law – Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas, 2007.
- Graduated in Law – Universidad Dr. José Matías Delgado, 2005.
- German (Basic)