Regional Director of Litigation and Arbitration practice a.i.
(505) 8238 0971
María Ofelia Medina is Senior Associate at García & Bodán and leads the Litigation and Arbitration practice in Nicaragua.
She has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation and administrative processes. Within the firm, she has been in charge of legal proceedings of important private sector companies and foreign investors, as well as local arbitrations in contractual and corporate matters. She has accompanied important international organizations in carrying out due diligence in relevant transactions, as well as due diligence for the acquisition of national companies by foreign companies (SPA), implemented contingency prevention, working hand in hand with other practice areas.
Chambers Latin America recognizes María Ofelia for her work in Dispute Resolution: “She is very professional and attentive, has great knowledge of the legal processes we are working on and is always there for us for any questions or concerns we might have.”
Before joining the firm, she worked as Of Counsel and Litigation Director in important law firms in the civil, commercial and administrative practice, she also worked as Of Counsel in project developments in coastal areas in San Juan del Sur, Tola (Rivas) and León. Her experience included advice on contractual issues for the prevention of future contingencies, especially in the constitution of credits and guarantees. In addition, she served as Advisor in alternative dispute resolution and administrative processes instructed by the Office for the Protection of the Rights of Consumers and Users, the Nicaraguan Institute of Urban and Rural Housing, the Institute for the Promotion of Competition and other public administration entities.
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Real Estate
- Dispute Resolution, Chambers Latin America, 2019-2020.
- Part of the academic body of Best Students – Universidad Centroamericana (UCA), 2007.
- First Place in the Legal Olympics of Contract Law – Universidad Centroamericana (UCA), 2005.
- Advice on domestic arbitration in tourism investment issues which was resolved in favor of the clients.
- Advice on domestic commercial arbitration on corporate issues, which was resolved in favor of clients.
- Representation to client in special property process, promoted by the Nicaraguan Institute of Social Security (INSS) in which its quality of third party registration is being protected.
- Advising one of the largest telecommunications operators in the country and in Latin America in a claim for damages in excess of USD 7 million, obtaining a favorable resolution in the first instance.
- Advising an investment company in the tourism sector in a current executive process, in which ten lots were seized; in the second instance the process was annulled in its entirety, concluding in a favorable transaction for the client.
- She has represented and advised a developer company of the premium real estate sector, in administrative proceedings before the competent authority, for consumer claims, successfully achieving the resolution of all cases.
- She has represented and advised one of the largest automotive distributors in Nicaragua in administrative processes, for consumer claims, successfully achieving the resolution of all cases.
- Member of the Nicaraguan Chapter of the Spanish Club of Arbitration (CEA).
- Specialization in Civil Procedural Law and Arbitration – Universidad de Salamanca, Spain, 2019.
- Workshop: The Evidence – Universidad de Salamanca, Spain, 2018.
- Workshop: Ordinary Processes in the new Civil Procedure Code – National Center for State Courts, Nicaragua, 2018.
- Postgraduate in New Civil Procedure in Nicaragua – Instituto de Altos Estudios Judiciales, Corte Suprema de Justicia de Nicaragua, 2017.
- Workshop: Civil Procedure Legislation from the Business Sector – National Center for State Courts, Nicaragua, 2017.
- Training: Best Practices in the Conduct of Arbitration – Chamber of Commerce and Services of Nicaragua (CCSN), 2016.
- Workshop: International Commercial Arbitration – Universidad Centro Americana (UCA), 2015.
- Intensive Training in Commercial Mediation – Cámara de Comercio y Servicios de Nicaragua (CCSN), 2015.
- Intensive Training in Commercial Arbitration – Cámara de Comercio y Servicios de Nicaragua (CCSN), 2015.
- Admitted to practice as Attorney since 2013.
- Graduate in Law with a major in Economics – Universidad Centro Americana (UCA), 2012.