Regional Director of the Litigation and Arbitration practice
(506) 6318 0351
María Ofelia Medina is a Senior Associate at García & Bodán and Regional Director of the Litigation and Arbitration practice at the firm. Before his re-incorporation to the firm, he held the position of senior associate in the projects area in a law firm in Chile.
His experience has focused on advising and representing foreign companies in the resolution of construction disputes in public infrastructure works for roads, water and sanitation, hospitals, school improvement works in the education sector in Nicaragua and in matters associated with construction. of bridges in El Salvador. In addition, she was an adviser in construction disputes for private works in complex and large-scale economic projects in Chile.
He also has experience in contractual management in construction projects and preparation of claims for extensions of deadlines, collection of additional or extraordinary works.
As an associate of the firm, she has been the leading lawyer in domestic, international, and judicial arbitration proceedings for important companies in the Private Sector and Foreign Investors, as well as in administrative proceedings before different public institutions.
Likewise, it has accompanied important international organizations in carrying out due diligence in relevant transactions, as well as for the acquisition of national companies by foreign companies (SPA), implementing the prevention of contingencies and working hand in hand with other practice areas.
Chambers Latin America recognizes María Ofelia for her work in Conflict Resolution “María Ofelia Medina Cortéz is very focused and client-oriented. Her case analysis, legal support, and knowledge of construction-related issues is very professional.”
- Projects and Construction
- Administrative Litigation
- Legal processes
- Co-leader of the litigation team advising a foreign company in international arbitration on issues of public works disputes in a road infrastructure project under FIDIC contract.
- Part of the project and litigation team that structured the defense for the lawsuit against an Epecist for two wind farms.
- Lead lawyer of the litigation team in advising on domestic arbitration in matters of work disputes for the construction of an industrial warehouse, for variations in works, collection of unpaid estimates, return of withholding, loss of productivity due to disruptions and demurrage derived of impacts in the base program.
- Adviser to a Japanese company for the negotiation with a subcontractor for disputes arising within the framework of the school infrastructure improvement work contract signed with the Ministry of Education of Nicaragua, (JICA Funds).
- Advice on negotiations with the State of Nicaragua for disputes arising in the framework of the execution of contracts for public works of road infrastructure and hydrosanitary project.
- Leading lawyer in advising on domestic commercial arbitration in corporate matters, which was resolved in favor of the clients.
- Advice to one of the largest Telecommunications operators in the country and in Latin America in a claim for Damages, obtaining a favorable resolution in all instances.
- Dispute Resolution, Chambers Latin America, 2019, 2020, 2021 ,2022 y 2023.
- Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500, 2021.
- Member of the Nicaraguan Chapter of the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA).
- Member of LIA (Latin American International Arbitration) Young Practitioners.
- Member of the Latin American Association of Construction Law (ALDEC).
- Member of the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF).
- Master’s Degree in Tort Law and Civil Liability- Universidad de los Andes Chile (in progress).
- Specialization in Construction Law – Peruvian University of Applied Sciences, Peru, 2021.
- Master’s Degree in International Commercial and Investment Arbitration – Universidad de Alcalá, Spain, 2020.
- Specialization in Construction Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2020.
- Law Degree with Specialization in Economics- Universidad Centroamericana, Nicaragua.
- Updating Course on Practical Use of FIDIC Contracts – Tecniberia.
- Refresher Course in Efficient Arbitration Management – CICA.
- Seminar on Complex Arbitrations under Construction – May Ed.
- Congress of Cost Engineering – AACE Peru, 2020.
- Management and Assessment of Damages in Construction Disputes – May Ed, 2020.
- Tort Law Update Courses – University of Salamanca, Spain, 2020.
- Workshop: “The test” – University of Salamanca, Spain, 2018.
- Workshop: Ordinary Processes in the new Civil Procedure Code – National Center for State Courts, Nicaragua, 2018.
- Workshop: Civil Procedural Legislation from the business sphere – National Center for State Courts, Nicaragua, 2017.
- Training: Best Practices in the Conduct of Arbitration – Chamber of Commerce and Services of Nicaragua (CCSN), 2016.
- Workshop: International Commercial Arbitration – Central American University (UCA), 2015.
- Intensive Training in Commercial Mediation – Chamber of Commerce and Services of Nicaragua (CCSN), 2015.