(506) 8840 7301
Christian Diaz is Partner of García & Bodán in Costa Rica and Regional Director of the Litigation and Arbitration practice.
His practice focuses on corporate law, foreign investment, construction law, real estate law, litigation and alternative dispute resolution (arbitration and mediation).
He has extensive experience providing advice in the area of Litigation. Prior to joining the firm, he served as Technical Arbitral Secretary of the Center for Conflict Resolution of the Federated College of Engineers and Architects of Costa Rica. Throughout his career, he has served as mediator and arbitrator in different Chambers such as the International Center for Conciliation and Arbitration (CICA) of the Costa Rican-American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham), Mediation and Arbitration Center (CEMEDAR), Conciliation and Arbitration Center (CCA) of the Costa Rican Chamber of Commerce, Dispute Resolution Chamber of the Costa Rican Football Federation, Analysis and Conflict Resolution Center of the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, CeCAP (Panama), among others.
He has been professor at Universidad de Costa Rica, Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho and professor of Mastery at Universidad Latina de Costa Rica in Alternative Conflict Resolution. He has also been a member of the group of trainers of the Casas de Justicia Program of the Ministry of Justice and Peace of Costa Rica and speaker at Arbitration Congresses both nationally and internationally.
- Construction and Infrastructure
- Real Estate
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Graduated with honors (Cum Laude Probatus) from Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho.
- Mediator in more than 200 mediations in RAC Centers authorized by the National Direction of Alternative Conflict Resolution (DINARAC) of the Ministry of Justice and Peace.
- Participation in more than 100 arbitration proceedings as arbitral secretary, arbitrator and party representative.
- External consultant to one of the investors in the investment arbitration against the Republic of Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. UNCT/13/2).
- Advisor to the Republic of Costa Rica in the mediation process with the Brazilian company OAS.
- For 10 years he served as arbitral technical secretary of the Center for Conflict Resolution of the Federated College of Engineers and Architects of Costa Rica.
*Remarkable experience before being part of García & Bodán.
- Speaker on Comparative Litigation and Arbitration Law at the 2019 Conference on International Law, event in conjunction with the law firms Harper Meyer, Morgan and Morgan and the International Law Section of the Florida Bar, Panama 2019.
- Professor of Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation and Arbitration) at Universidad de Costa Rica.
- Professor of Alternative Dispute Resolution Law (Mediation and Arbitration) at Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho.
- Professor of Master in Alternative Dispute Resolution of Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation and Arbitration) at Universidad Latina de Costa Rica.
- Costa Rican Bar Association.
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – Costa Rica Chapter (Secretary of the Board of Directors).
- Spanish Arbitration Club, Secretary Costa Rican Chapter.
- Member of the Latin American Arbitration Group of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Workshop II, Dispute Boards – The Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF), 2018.
- Arbitration Academy – International Court of Arbitration, International Chamber of Commerce, 2018.
- Workshop I, Dispute Boards – The Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF), 2017.
- Master Class in International Commercial Arbitration – Institute of International Commercial Law, International Chamber of Commerce, 2016.
- Advanced PIDA in International Commercial Arbitration – Institute of International Commercial Law, International Chamber of Commerce, 2015.
- Practical Use of FIDIC Contracts, Lámbal Formación/FIDIC, 2014.
- Postgraduate in International Commercial Arbitration at Queen Mary – London University, 2013.
- Senior Management Programme (PAG 59) – INCAE Business School, 2009.
- Senior Management Program (PAG 59) – INCAE Business School, 2009.
- Mediation Training – Escuela Libre de Derecho, 2005.
- Training in Arbitration – CLAE-UCI, 2005.
- Master in Corporate Law – Universidad para la Cooperación Internacional (UCI), 2004.
- Admitted to practice as Attorney and Notary Public since 1999.
- Graduated in Law – Escuela Libre de Derecho, 1999.